Our Paint Colors

29 Comments

Posted by Rebecca, October 13th, 2011

A couple of weeks ago when I planned to do a post with some frequently asked questions, I wanted to include a section for all of the paint colors we’ve used in our house. Mike ended up taking over the post for me when I fell asleep, answering his own version of our FAQs. Since the #1 question I am asked is what paint colors we’ve used in various rooms, I figured it was about time the question received it’s own post!

Here are all of our current paint colors displayed together. Some observations…

1. I never realized how well all of our house colors blend together. Since I didn’t really have the whole house in mind when choosing colors, I’m surprised that they all work well! I especially thought the dark gray was bolder and less expected, but even that blends in well.

2. The two middle colors on the top and bottom rows do not look that similar in real life. Or maybe they do? Mike says they do. I think the top color is more brown based and the bottom one is more of a true gray. At least I’m consistent in my choices :)

Here is our color breakdown, by room.

Family Room & Kitchen:

Wedgewood Gray

Benjamin Moore HC-146

Entryway & Upstairs Hallway:

Himalayan Trek

Benjamin Moore 1542

Living Room & Dining Room:

Waynesboro Taupe

Benjamin Moore 1544

Office:

Light Stripe- Gray Ghost

Olympic D17-2

Dark Stripe- Silver Fox

Benjamin Moore 2108-50

(we color matched the dark stripe to Olympic, but it is nearly identical to Olympic’s Silver Dollar D17-3)

Powder Room:

Cracked Slate

Olympic D44-5

You’ll notice that our recent paint projects have been done with Olympic’s no VOC paint. We try to keep things as toxin free as possible around here since Macky has seizures and we don’t want any unnecessary triggers. Plus those smells just aren’t good for anyone :( The Benjamin Moore paints we used were for rooms we had professionally painted before we moved in so Macky wasn’t exposed to those fumes (we couldn’t paint our two story entryway on our own so we hired it out).

I hope this post answers all of your paint questions in one spot. I plan to update it as we paint more rooms down the road. I’ll also add this post to our top navigation bar for easy access :)

• StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks

Tags: , , , , , , ,

29 Responses to “Our Paint Colors”

1. We’re trying to decide on a warm grey to use in our living room and I’m really digging your Waynesboro Taupe and Himalayan Trek!

2. I love the paint colors you’ve chosen. Everything looks so cohesive and modern. I want to copy it!!

3. ashlee says:

hi there,

i found you via yhl. i hope you don’t mind, but i’m checking out your blog :)

your paint colours are officially the most AMAZING colour scheme i’ve ever seen. i’m currently on the hunt for a colour scheme that will work for us. we have two children, so it’s hard to make everything flow – okay, it’s impossible because their rooms are pink and green, lol.

wedgewood grey is on my list of favorite colours.

i might ‘follow’ you if that’s okay.

4. Teresa says:

I love your paint colors. They really allow your beatiful floors to stand out! And great job on your kitchen! What a difference!!

5. chrystal says:

I LOVE this color combo. Want to copy ;-)

6. Julie C says:

Hi there~

I stumbled upon your blog while googling Waynesboro Taupe by BM. Trying to find a good gray-brown taupe for my DR and a lighter (similar) color for my two story entryway. I do not want any peach or pink/purple undertones.

Can you tell me if your DR (Waynesboro Taupe) ever throws peach, pink, lavender? Thanks so much!

BTW~Your DR striped chairs are the exact fabric of my LR curtains. Trying to find a good gray/blue for that room too!

• Rebecca says:

Our living and dining rooms have loads of natural light, so the Waynesboro Taupe never looks pink or purple. Other people have told me that it looks purpley in their rooms though.

We have Wedgewood Gray in our kitchen and family room, which is a blue gray but more blue than gray :) If I were to paint those rooms again I’d probably do a color other than the Wedgewood just to get something a little more gray.

7. Cathy says:

I am interested in your exterior color combination, can you provide me that information? It looks great!!

• Rebecca says:

Hi Cathy! I know our siding color is called Clay, though I do not know the manufacturer. Our shutters and door are Musket Brown. The builder used Duron paint for our entire house, so I imagine the door was painted with the same. I don’t see Musket Brown listed on the Duron website anymore, but if you ask for it in store they may still make it! I’ve also heard that Duron is owned by Sherwin Williams, so maybe they just changed the name.

8. cathy pereira says:

HI
    Love your colors! And your house too! What color is the wainscotting (sp?) in the dining room/living room? Looking to change over my dining room.
    THanks so much!

9. Courtney says:

Hi Rebecca,
    I am wondering what colours you have chosen for your baby’s room and the other bedrooms?!?
    I love the colours and am very interested in giving them a try. The only concern is that my space and rooms are not as large as yours seem to be and so I am slightly concerned that what looks so great in your space, may not look so great in mine. Did you use the same colour scheme for your bedrooms?

• Rebecca says:

Hi Courtney! Easton’s room is painted with all Olympic paint….

Ceiling- Comes the Dawn D52-2

Walls- Gray Ghost D17-2

Closet- Lettuce Alone B68-3

Trim- Crumb Cookie C20-1

Our bedroom and guest bedroom haven’t yet been painted. The new office is in the process of being repainted, so I’ll update that info when it’s all done! The walls of Easton’s room actually ended up being the same as the lighter stripe in the playroom (former office), so they all do relate at the moment.

10. Chelaine says:

Hi! I love love love these colors! Definitely a front runner for my house!
    Just wondering.. What sheen did you use throughout the house? They look flat, which is my favorite, but do you have any trouble cleaning it? I have a house with little kids, so I always have to be prepared for anything (like coloring on the walls) :)
    Thanks!

11. Allison says:

What color did you use for your kitchen cabinets? I’m looking at using Benjamin Moore Stonington Gray (gray with blue undertones) in my kitchen/family room but need to paint cabinets also.
    Thanks!
    Allison

12. Britt McDowell says:

Hi! I love your green polka dot closet! Would you mind sharing the colors from that room? Thanks so much!

13. Malinda says:

Homespun grey is my new favorite taupey grey…great with white trim etc

14. Malinda says:

That should be homespun linen

15. Michelle says:

Hi Rebecca. I found your post when I search for colors that go with cracked slate (which is on our accent wall in the family room and I love it). Great color combinations! Can you tell me what kind/color floors you have throughout your downstairs? Thanks!

• Rebecca says:

Hi Michelle! We have Bruce oak planks in the cherry color. They’re not as red as they would sound, though the definitely have a mix of reds and browns.

16. Jill says:

Hi,
    I’ve just decided to use Himalayan Trek in my living room and dining room, and I came across your web site when I was showing the color to my husband. I’m wondering what trim color you used with it?

• Rebecca says:

Our builder used a Duran paint color that we had color matched to Olympics Crumb Cookie. It’s not a bright white and has a bit of a gray undertone.

17. Loretta says:

Hi there just wanted to give you a brief heads up
    and let you know a few of the pictures aren’t loading properly.
    I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried
    it in two different internet browsers and both show the same results.
    Loretta recently posted..Loretta

18. What a great job. They have personallity but not shock you dead. Again great choices.

19. Ask the contractor to tell you how many labor hours he is estimating for your house.
    It would be better if the primer has a spraying mechanism.
    This paint will give your wall a very clean and shine free appearance.

Also visit my blog post: somerville plumbing supply
    somerville plumbing supply recently posted..somerville plumbing supply

20. Michelle says:

Hi again!

I was wondering if you can recommend any shades of blue that would go with your 6 colors. I’d like to paint our guest room and bathroom a blue that would match with your color combinations.

Thank you!

21. drain snake says:

Fantastic blog you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any user discussion forums that cover the same topics talked about
    here? I’d really love to be a part of online community where I can get opinions from other knowledgeable people that share
    the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know.
    Cheers!

my web site; drain snake
    drain snake recently posted..drain snake